Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Decision to Serve The Lord

      I've always known that I would eventually serve a mission for my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I've known since I was a little girl but as I got older I denied it constantly and was always trying to think of a reason why I wouldn't go. 

Well... I finally found an excuse to not go in January of 2012 when I met, Casey. Even though he hadn't served a mission yet I was determined to wait for him while he was gone because I couldn't leave on a mission for another year and a half after all right? Wrong.

My mom would always tell me "I don't know how it's going to work but I just know that you are going to serve a mission."


Casey left for his mission on August 15, 2012 while I went on with my life living at my parents thinking I'd go back to BYU-I in January for the winter-spring track. 

Little did I know that come General Conference weekend of October of 2012 my entire life plan would change when President Monson made the huge announcement. 

I was in Tucson, AZ for one of my best friend's baptism. We had a pretty late Friday night but got up for conference the next morning. I got up about 10 minutes after conference started, stupid me, and my first instinct was to check facebook. Everyone was freaking out about the age change. I thought it was a joke.

I hurried and rewound conference 5 minutes only to hear Prestident Monson make the announcement:

"Today, I'm pleased to announce that able, worthy young women, who have the desire to serve, may be recommended for missionary service beginning at the age of 19, instead of age 21."

I swear my heart stopped for at least a minute when he said that. I was screaming my head off and dancing around the house with a huge smile on my face. Good thing I was watching it at my friend's house, huh? 

In between sessions of conference I called my bishop. I wanted to start my papers ASAP. I guess it's safe to say that that announcement changed my mind real quick!

After all the interviews, dentist appointments, doctor's appointments, and immunizations my papers were FINALLY in. Now for the wait. Joy. With the flood of sister missionaries I thought for sure it'd take more than 2 weeks to receive my call.

A couple days after I turned in my papers I got a call from the medical department for missionaries... great. They told me that they didn't think serving a mission was the best thing for my health even though it was great that I wanted to serve! (I've had four knee surgeries, two on each knee) Way to pull a debbie downer on me! I was really sad. They said if I got a release from my doctor then they would reconsider so that's exactly what I did, not for a while though. My papers were on hold until further notice.

After a month of contemplating if a mission was what Heavenly Father wanted me to do I finally went to the doctor and he said YES (with limitations of course)! I immediately faxed over my release to Salt Lake still wondering if it was the right choice. I didn't hear from them for 2 weeks when I decided, on christmas day, that I was going on a mission no matter what and that it was for sure what I was supposed to do. 

The next morning I woke up to 4 missed calls from Salt Lake! Heavenly Father knew. He just knew. So I hurried and called them back and they said that they would figure something out. (: YES! My papers were OFFICIALLY in and there was no turning back.